At Discovery we believe in raising aspirations and building employment opportunities to enable individuals to make informed decisions about work. Everyone’s employment pathway will be very different and individual to them, supported employment is a personalised, person-centred approach to matching the right person to the right job.
Transformation of Day Services
As part of the work underway, reviewing Day Services,, looking at what our service might look like in the future, you have told us that work is important to you,. So the employment team will be working in the service to support people who do want to explore their employment opportunities and to give advice and guidance to customers and their families. We understand that not everyone will want paid employment and we are here to help and support everyone to achieve their aspirations, and aim to secure an opportunity that is right for them. So please come and talk to us. We are currently putting in place notice boards to that you will know who the contact for your local service is and how to contact them.
How do we work?
The Supported Employment Team helps people with learning disabilities and people with autism find and secure employment. We can support people in all or some of the following ways:
- We get to know people, to understand what they like, what they don’t like, what they’re good at and what they want to get better at. We like to know what they’re interested in and what their work aspirations are we call this vocational profiling.
- We work with the person, families, friends, support and training providers and anyone else who is actively involved with the person to make sure that we get a clear picture of their potential and the sort of jobs that will help people achieve their aspirations.
- From this we develop a picture profile which is really a CV but one that show peoples skills rather than using the traditional type of CV which doesn’t always show the abilities of the people we support in the best way.
- We work with businesses throughout Somerset looking at what staff they need to be successful all employers need good workers and we support lots of them, we just need to match the right customer to the right job role and employer.
- We support employers to understand the needs of the person by matching people we know to what employers tell us they need and working with the employers to understand how they can support that person in work. We find each person a job that matches their aspirations, with an employer who needs their talents.
- We can arrange working interviews so that people can show their skills to employers rather than following traditional recruitment method and once someone starts work we can support them to learn their new job role in the workplace, on the job.
- If someone needs some more help to work out what their talents are or what kind of job they would like, we can organise work tasters and work trails in different companies and in different roles to help them make an informed decision about what job they would like to do in the future.
- We can support people with their CV and application forms, with on-line applications. We can offer tips and practical advice about interviews and we can offered supported interviews.
To find out more email: